Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Strawberry, anyone?!

The artistic in me struck again! Well, sort of. Hehe


Last Friday, July 22, 2016, in celebration of the Nutrition Month, students from different grade levels of SPARK Kids of Global City (the school where my daughters go to) were tasked to wear either a headdress or a costume showcasing different fruits and/or vegetables.

I browsed through the internet for some ideas and inspirations, and I decided to recreate this one - a Strawberry costume! 


(photo taken from the internet)



As my daughter only advised me a day before about the costume "thingy", I opted for a costume that I can easily make, nothing grand as there was also no mention of any costume competition anyway.

Well, I was wrong. From each level, the teachers awarded two winners of Best in Costume! Fortunately, my daughter's Strawberry costume still bagged an award! Thanks to the effort and creativity of her loving Papa who made all the efforts to finish her costume ( I was supposed to be the one to do the job, but I was not feeling well so I just asked my husband to do it instead). Thank you so, so, so much! :)


Yna with her classmates in their costumes.
Winners from different grade levels...


So, how to make a Strawberry Costume?

As much as I really wanted to do a step by step instruction, with matching illustrations of of the procedures, unfortunately, I was not able to take photos as I was already fast asleep when hubby started to make the costume. :) So please, just bear with me and hopefully you can still be able to recreate this simple yet award-winning Strawberry costume (naks)!

Materials Needed:

1. Big carton (depending on the wearer's built). You can use either new or used ones. As for us, we used the box which previously contained our TV.

2. Red felt paper. You can also use red cloth but I really prefer felt paper because of its texture.

3. Green Crepe paper

4. Pencil

5. Glue/double adhesive tape

6. White sticker paper / garter

7. White crayon


Step by step Instructions:

1. Measure the body size of the person who's going to wear the costume. The lenght should start from the shoulder upto the knee. But, actually, it depends really on how big the costume you really want it to be, it is really your call. And that same principle goes to the width of your costume too! :) Just make sure that the width is proportionate to the length of the costume.

2. Draw your pattern. Use a pencil so can easily erase your mistake, just in case. :) Make two identical patterns.

3. Cut your patterns into shape.

4. Cover your pattern with the red felt paper (or red cloth). Use double adhesive tape to secure the felt paper in place. 

5. To connect the two patterns in order to look like a sando dress, you can make extensions similar to a sando. Cover the same with white sticker paper. But if you find this step a little hard to do, you can just connect the two patterns with a garter! Much easier, right?!

6. After connecting the two strawberry patterns, draw and cut some leave patterns using the green crepe paper. Attach the leaves to your strawberries. These leaves should serve as the calyx of your strawberry.

This is how your strawberry should look like after you have attached the leaves:




7. For the final touch, using a white crayon, draw the "seeds" or the "achenes" (which are actually the plant's ovaries), and your done!


The Finished Product...
To complete the look, I had my daughter wear a red long sleeves blouse, black leggings, red sneakers, and yellow green socks. I also put green ribbons to her pony tails (not seen in the photo below).


And here is the complete look! Very easy, right?!

Yna, My Strawberry Girl! 
Again, congratulations to my baby girl for winning the Best in Costume Award! :)

Posted via Blogaway Pro

37 comments:

  1. A for effort mommy Jo :), cute ng daughter mo on that costume, congrats she won. Thank you for sharing how it was made. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you din sis. :) I'll share more ideas in the future! :)

      Delete
  2. Ang creative talaga ng mga mommies. Congrats to your Strawberry girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pag Mommy talaga you'll do everything for kids. Kudos Mommy Josephine for making that strawberry costume. Congrats for winning little girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True sis. We mommies can really do everything for the sake of our families! :)

      Delete
  4. Galing! Super cute pa, congratulations! Hmm.. I wonder what her costume will be on Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sis! For the halloween, wala pa akong idea. Haha

      Delete
  5. such a cute costume! gayahin ko ha, pwede?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh cool! I love DIYs! I've been seeing a lot of nutrition month posts lately with kids in their costumes. Excited for when my toddler starts asking me for costumes na! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love DIY too. :)
      It'll be both tiring and fun when you will be starting to do the same sis, but it will be all worth it! :)

      Delete
  7. I love doing everything DIY. Your daughter is pretty. Congrats on winning . Can't wait to do this with my son when he'll go to school too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love doing everything DIY. Your daughter is pretty. Congrats on winning . Can't wait to do this with my son when he'll go to school too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, most of the times, mas excited pa tlga mga mommies kesa sa mga kids nila! Thanks sis.

      Delete
  9. Great DIY tips for this! Well, the end product was amazing and suits your daughter too! She looked lovely and so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Great job! I admire your hubby for his dedication and love to do this for you and your daughter. I think that's the grand prize that you and your kid won! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree sis. Am really thankful and proud of my husband too! He's really very supportive. :)

      Delete
  11. Haha nanalo pa rin, congratulations! I think it's because it's unique. And kudos to your husband for such a well-made costume.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! Mothers can really get creative and competitive when it comes to their children's school events. Your daughter looked even sweeter wearing the strawberry costume you made! Congrats, Mommy. You did a very good job! I feel like eating strawberries tuloy. Haha nakaka-miss ang strawberries. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! True. Sana nga may ganyan kalaking strawberry talaga. Busog much. Ty sis! :)

      Delete
  13. Ang galing! Congratulations! I love her strawberry costume. She deserves the award dahil syempre galing sa effort ni Mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ang sarap ng feeling if we are able to create stuff for our kids no. Lalo na if they get to wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your daughter looks so adorbs on that last pic! :) Galing naman! It's good that your husband was able to get it done. I don't think I can count on my husband to do such a thing haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! He has to. Otherwise, outside kulambo sya. Lol kidding aside, im really thankful of my husband. I can really rely on him on things like this. :)

      Delete
  16. Wow! Love the costume! And so galing tlaaga of the husband to help! My husband would help din naman kaso maglilitanya muna sya at magsesermon. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. minsan naglilitanya din naman si hubby, un nga lang, maglilitanya din ako. hahahaha! :)

      Delete
  17. Nice costume! And the designer was also good! Kudos to your husband for a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice naman ng strawberry :-) kami carrots naman, same here si hubby ang gumawa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww... a DIY strawberry! Your kid looks really cute wearing the costume. Clap clap! 👏

    ReplyDelete

About

Blog Archive