Monday, December 15, 2014

Simbang Gabi 2014

Earlier today, December 16, was the start of the Filipino Christmas tradition, Simbáng Gabi or Night Mass, which serves as our preparation for the celebration of the birth of our Saviour Jesus Christ. 

The masses are held daily from December 16 to December 24, and occur at different times ranging from as early as 03:00 to 05:00 early in the morning. Although, nowadays, parishes are likewise holding anticipated masses in order to address and accommodate the varying schedules of all its parishioners, leaving us no excuses to miss any of the nine days of Simbang Gabi. 

Personally, as much as possible, if my schedule would permit, I really prefer attending Simbang Gabi masses early in the morning. Mas feel ko lang, mas ramdam ko ang kapaskuhan lalo na't naaamoy ko ang masarap na aroma ng putobumbong after the mass! But since I really want to attend mass with my kids, the anticipated mass best suits our schedule. :)

But as I did an errand last night, I was not able to make it to the anticipated mass, so I attended and celebrated the first day of Simbang Gabi in our church, the Maria Reyna ng mga Apostoles Parish Church, alone . My niece and my husband's cousin who both agreed to attend the mass with me were both not able to wake up early. 


The whole church was already full when I arrive. Luckily, I was still able to find a seat. :) Our parish priest, father Betbet, celebrated the mass and welcomed each one of us to this 9-day novena. 

Hopefully, I will be able to finish this 9-day Simbang Gabi again. There is a belief among many Filipino Catholics that if you were able to finish all the nine days of the Simbang Gabi, your wishes, your prayers will be granted. :)

True or not, what is really important is to always have a thankful heart. To be thankful for all the blessings that we have received, this is really the true meaning of Christmas!

By the way, I am done with my second day too. I attended the anticipated mass this evening, again, celebrated by Father Betbet.

How about you? Do you think you can finish the 9-day novena too?! I hope so. 

Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About

Blog Archive